Sandamani Pagoda

  • 66th St Mandalay
  • Business hours: :
    24 hours daily

Report this business

To the southeast of Mandalay hill Myanmar, close to the bus stop and near the road up to the hill, is the Sandamani paya. Similar to Kuthodaw, which is the east, off the main road, the slightly run down sandamani features a cluster of slender white washed stupas built on the site of king Mindon’s temporary place while the new Mandalay palace was under construction. The paya enshrines an iron image of the Myanmar Buddha cast in 1082 by Bodawpaya and transported here from Amarapura in 1874. Around the stupa lies a collection of 1774 marble slabs inscribed with commentaries on the Tripitaka (Buddhist cannon).

Share this: