Saint Mary’s Cathedral
Saint Mary’s Cathedral is a Catholic cathedral located on Bo Aung Kyaw Street in Botahtaung Township, Yangon, Burma. The cathedral’s exterior, of red brick, consists of spires and a bell tower.
It was designed by Dutch architect Jos Cuypers, son of Pierre Cuypers. The cathedral is the largest in Burma. Located on the grounds of the cathedral is Basic Education High School No. 6, which is locally known as “Saint Paul’s High School”, although it has no religious affiliation to the Catholic Church today.
Construction began in 1895 and was completed 19 November 1899 under a land grant from the Government of India, whilst Lower Burma was a province of British India. During the 1930 Rangoon earthquake, St. Mary’s Cathedral suffered little damage and it withstood the Japanese invasion during World War II.
However, the cathedral’s stained glass windows were damaged during the Allied invasion of Rangoon.